Thursday, January 18, 2007

My First Comet

So there is a comet passing Earth at the moment. It's called Comet McNaught, or to give it its' real name, C/2006 P1. Terrible name. I heard that it is one of the brightest comets in recorded history and, wow, it was amazing last night. I have never tried to take photos of the sky and below's efforts will show you why. I will try again tonight using some tips from a colleague of mine. My understanding is that the comet is best seen from the Southern Hemisphere, ie where I live, but I would love to know if you can see it in the North.

I tried looking at Haley's comet all those years ago and frankly I am not sure if I saw it or not. It was as big as a star. Did I see a star perhaps? Or maybe the comet. This one however makes no mistake!





It is truly one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

San Nakji for President!

6 comments:

Oricon Ailin said...

WOW!!!! That's awesome! I remember seeing Halley's Comet back when I was in elementary school. And, I've seen a few others...but that is wicked cool dude!!

Anonymous said...

I think you took an okay comet picture. At least we can see it.

Cergie said...

How lucky you are being able to see by your own a comet. Your picture are neat, really.

My father was born 1910 the year of the Halley comet, the most famous comet.
He used to say that he came with it and wuold have gone with it too (1986), it was the case for M Twain (1835-1910), but not for my father. He died 1988.


We saw a comet in the sky during a few days in Cergy I don't remember when and its name I'll ask to Mr Cergie when he'll be awake

Ashley said...

Hey that's great you managed to see it and get pictures!

rubyslipperlady said...

The shots are fun to see!

black feline said...

you will have a great year for sure..it's the lucky star!