Monday, June 20, 2005

Batman Begins

I saw Batman Begins in the weekend. I have to admit that I am a sucker for a superhero movie and so was probably going in with a bit of bias. I had heard only good things about this film so that helped. I hadn't heard anything good about Catwoman or Daredevil and still haven't seen either. My life is probably better for it!

I really enjoyed this film. I think it is always easy to make a superhero film when you can explain how he or she came into being and so they were helped by being able to tell that part of the story. They went for a different kind of feel from previous movies in that it is much darker. The origins that they come up with are a lot different from the other films and the thing that I liked the best was that they showed the origin of the bat cave.

The best thing about this film is undoubtably the city. It looks wonderful and really comes alive. I was really jealous of the great monorail they have in Gotham! I know that Gotham is based on New York, but it was great that they took time to create a city that resembled New York, but at the same time was so alien and different.

The story was pretty simple, but adequate. Like I said, they didn't have to work too hard as a lot of the story was the creation of Batman. The big test will be for the next movie where the whole movie will have to be story driven.

The actors seemed very good. I liked Liam Neeson and Gary Oldman looked so different. I have only seen Christian Bale in Reign of Fire, which he was good in. Some people have criticised him for a wooden performance (incl. people I was with), but he worked for me.

All in all, I really enjoyed this movie. I hope the next one continues strongly like Spiderman and Blade did.

Well that's it. Anyone else see it?

San Nakji for President!

No comments: