Monday, July 03, 2006

Nicholas is a Good Boy


Bit of a soap box trip for a minute, please indulge me.

I think one of the worst acts in this world is to force children to kill. This is happening all over Africa and it is destroying communities and nations. The worst offenders as far as I am concerned are the Lords Resistance Army who are a bunch of nutters. Children in this so called 'Army of God' have been forced to commit unspeakable acts while the international community just sits by and ignores what is going on.

I was pleasantly surprised to read this morning that Nicholas Cage is helping these kids with quite a bit of money. Normally I can't stand the guy with his one facial expression and his weird obsession with Elvis, but I may go out and buy a Nicholas Cage box set as a thank you from me to him...

(By the way, I am really sorry for the photo... Someone told me it was cage looking his best!)

"Nicolas Cage has donated $2 million to help former child soldiers worldwide.The donation by the Oscar-winning actor will help provide shelters and medical and psychological rehabilitation services, said Larry Cox, executive director of Amnesty International USA. Cox accepted the donation Wednesday at a United Nations Conference in New York. Amnesty International will administer the funds.

''I understand that this pledge is not a solution for the problem,'' Cage, 42, said when he announced the contribution by video.

''It's my hopeful wish that today's discussions on this tragic subject at the United Nations conference may bring us closer to eradicating the nightmare of child soldiers.''

Cage said he has worked with Amnesty International for more than two years.The United Nations estimates there are at least 300,000 child soldiers participating in armed conflicts in the world today."

San Nakji for President!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on ya Nicky Cage!!

Brotha Buck said...

Oh, for a second, I thought: San Nakji revealed himself!

black feline said...

ya u are right..he has quite a forgettable face..not a legend! but his act is commendable...i hate the movie...National Treasure

Cergie said...

Nicolas Cage is a great actor, SN ! Face/Off is a great film with J. Travolta !!!
N. Cage = N. Coppola (his father is the brother of F. Ford and uncle of Sofia). This is also a proof of his honesty: he did not *profiter de son nom pour arriver.
You must speak about Sean Penn too: he did against Iraq War 2 ! He stayed in Iraq just before the war began...
jqthz
godfather !

Oricon Ailin said...

I with SN on this. I admire what he is doing. I'm not much of a fan of him...I just don't get into his acting very much.

But...what he is doing is very good.

Anonymous said...

good for him. he needs to lose that mustache, though. it's not nearly ironic enough to be a good look for him.