Thursday, March 23, 2006

Auckland from Above

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to be taken out to lunch by an old colleague who had a credit card from his new company. He told our team that we should choose somewhere nice and expensive. Well, I can think of nowhere better than the top of the tallest structure in the Southern Hemisphere, the Sky Tower! The food was great, but the weather and the view were better!



This shot is looking at downtown Auckland and out into the harbour, Waitemata harbour. Auckland is home to over 50 volcanoes, but the only one that could cause trouble in the near future is the island in the centre of the photo. Rangitoto is a symbol of Auckland and is also a dormant volcano. Here's hoping that it doesn't go off any time soon!



Further to the right, you can see the eastern suburbs of Auckland and you can also see where I ran last weekend. All along the coast down there. My legs still remember it well! The greenery that you can see is the University of Auckland.



In the middle of town, we have a huge park called the Domain. The building in the middle of it is our museum. It is an amazing structure and well worth a look. It has a mummy! Which is always good in my book ;o)



This is the generally accepted centre of town. The corner of Queen and Victoria Streets. Our city isn't really much compared to Seoul or New York, but it's enough for us.



As we finished our pricey lunch, the weather took a turn for the worse. In this photo you can see the rain coming in from West Auckland. The bridge here is another symbol of Auckland. It is imaginatively called the Auckland Harbour Bridge. Every day I make my way across the bridge from Auckland's North Shore (we call it North Harbour) and work in the city, right next to the Sky Tower. If you look very closely you can even see my house!



Well, that's a brief look at my city. This is kind of a tag too. I would love to see where my readers live. Get out there with a dika (digital camera) and show us what your town is made of!

San Nakji for President!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pics. But I refuse your challenge.

Oricon Ailin said...

I love these photos!!! I have to go into downtown El Paso today, so I'll take my digital camera with me and grab a few shots.

El Paso is quiet large, but I'll do my best!!

Crystal said...

A bottomless expense account...that sounds like heaven! ;-) I don't really know much about the "urban side" of New Zealand, but the pictures are fabulous and volcanoes are always lovely, assuming that they don't actually go off!

Tim Rice said...

Fantastic views and a great opportunity for lunch. Neat!

Brotha Buck said...

You are much braver than I. I'd have never done that.Seriously. Auckland, I'm now off to Google.

J said...

First time reader here from crystal's blog.

I'd get out there if my town was actually worth seeing, but it's not. Okay, there are a few nice churches, but that's about it. After I move (in a few months), I'll do it.

J
Germany Doesn't Suck