Monday, April 04, 2005

2005, What I want to achieve

I haven't written for a couple of days. I actually had one saved to draft, about Dokdo, but I got bored with it half way through. If you want to know my opinion, it is this; no rock is worth going to war over... That's it.
If you know me, then you know that I have a million different things I want to do, but an equal amount of unfinished things. I tend to start something and then lose interest or become more interested in something else and do that instead. It is a great accomplishment for me to see something through. That is why I am so proud of my Korean as it is something that I have seen through to the end and actually can speak it!
There are three languages I would really like to do the same with. One is Greek. There is really no reason to learn Greek. I am not Greek, Greece is so far away, I don't know any Greeks, there is no Greek community here... But equally, I enjoy the language and it is fun to learn. That is the only reason I really need. I have actually been learning for over a year, but I never study and so my progress has been slow. This year, I really want to get better and so I am going to go all out and hopefully by the end of the year I will be competent enough to have a fairly decent conversation.
The second is German. I learned it at school, but as the teacher wasn't quite what I wanted I never really excelled. I want to go to the World Cup in Germany next year and so in order to make things easier, I really want to pick up German again. I applied for a course at the local University, but it was cancelled due to lack of numbers. I will try again mid year, but in the mean time I will try to do some by using a teach yourself book. This will be harder than Greek as I won't have a teacher....
The third is Scottish Gaelic. I have been thinking about my heritage and where I come from. I seem to have a split of English, Scottish and a little Irish (albeit Northern) blood in my veins. Given that I speak English, the next step to discover my roots would be to learn Gaelic. Now after a bit of study, it has occurred to me that my ancestors may never have spoken Gaelic at all, and may have instead spoken Scots. However, there is no material to even start learning Scots and so Gaelic will have to do. I read the first chapter of my book this morning and it is not too bad. I just looked at the BBC website and what I thought was the pronounciate is not what it seems to be. This will be the problem with this language! I have a tape which comes with the book and so I will have to listen to that... Stay tuned...

Hallo. 'S mise San Nakji. Ciamar a tha thu? Tha gu math, tapadh leat. Tha mi 'a D'un Eideann.

San Nakji for President!

No comments: