Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Blood is Red


In my many years on this earth, I have never given blood. Like my friend Ori, I have a huge phobia of needles. However, yesterday I got a big case of the guilts. It seems that my blood type, O-, is a rather important type. It is known as the universal blood type and no matter what blood type you have, you can take my blood. Only 7% of people here in Aotearoa have it, I am not sure if this follows around the world or not, but this means now they know I have this blood they will be knocking on my door every three months wanting more!
The blood people came to my work and set up right next to my office. After thinking about it for about 20 minutes I decided that it would be the right thing to do. Also, it is important to face your fears, right? I sat in the chair and tried everything I could to take my mind off what was about to happen. When the nurse finally put the needle in, well I am not going to lie, it hurt! It was really painful. However the pain quickly subsided and as long as I didn't think too much about the foreign object jammed in my arm, it was ok. About 5 minutes into the blood giving, the machine sucking it out of me suddenly started beeping. It scared the hell out me! It turned out that my blood just wasn't rushing fast enough for the machine's liking. Another nurse came along and readjusted the needle. More pain, and then... it was over!
Giving blood gave me a warm feeling. That may have been because I just lost a pint of San Nakji special, but I think it is more likely that this is what it feels like when you do a good deed...
I urge people who have considered it to go ahead and donate blood, it's not all that hard. A moment of pain for someone's life, much like having kids really...

San Nakji for President!

3 comments:

Brotha Buck said...

I've never donated blood once. I know I should considering my nieces benefit from monthly transfusions provided by the generosity of others.Sorry to say, I probably would if it were conveniently set up at work. But if I gotta go drive somewhere and sit and wait...

Anonymous said...

I try to donate blood every ten weeks or so.

San Nakji said...

That sounds like a lot.... it should be every three months shouldn't it?? You are very good though!