Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving (is it one word) fascinates me. The reasons for the holiday seem pretty feeble to me (please don't get upset Americans!), but any excuse to eat heaps of food gets my vote! I think it's strange that it's on a Thursday, Friday's not a holiday right? I feel sorry for all the turkeys over there, although they are a rather tasty animal and cranberries just wouldn't be the same without their juicy meat. The thing that fascinates me the most however are the pies. I, as all New Zealanders, love love love pies. We may be one of the largest consumers of pies in the world (maybe the Aussies give us a run for our money?) and I like to contribute to that. (recently Mrs San Nakji has put paid to my fun however... health and all that kind of crap) I heard that Americans eat pumpkin pies and sweet potato pies. What the hell? I have never heard of such a thing... What do they taste like? Do you eat them during the meal or for dessert? There is so much I long to know about those pies....

San Nakji for President!

8 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

Pumkin pies are for dessert and are very good. They often have a lot of spices and other stuff mixed in, and the pumpkin stuff is whipped up quite a bit, so it is just a little thicker than pudding with the same consistency all the way throught the pie.

Hate sweet potatoe pies. Hate yams and sweet potatoes.

San Nakji said...

Why thank you. They sound great! How can you hate sweet potatoes? They are great!!!! Especially as chips (you call em fries). Yams, I can do without although I hear you candy them over there...

kushibo said...

Friday is also a day-off and marks the open of the holiday shopping season (it's also one of the biggest sales days of the year).

And Thanksgiving (yes, one word) does have historical and even spiritual significance for we people of U.S. citizenship.

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving is an alright holiday, so I hear.

Oricon Ailin said...

Thanksgiving is a special day to those of us in the United States. The eating part is a symbolic things for us. It reminds us of the first shared meal between the Natives and the Pilgrims. The people of Plymouth were just so happy to still be alive after such a harsh winter. So, they feasted on what they had. The Natives had shared some of there foods, and that is kinda where all the "stuffing our face" thing came from.

We here in the US are very grateful and appreciative of what our ancestors did. We remember all that they suffered through and we honor them with our thanksgivings.

Now...as for the pies...YUMMY!

I make a mean pumpkin pie (which is what I shall be doing tonight). Traditional pumpkin pies are made with pumpkin, eggs, evaporated milk, nutmeg, ground clove, sugar, and other spices to taste.

The pumpkin and all the other ingredients are mixed in a mixer until well blended (almost the consistency of runny pudding.) Then the mixture is poured into a pie crust and baked for about 65 minutes. Then it cools and becomes a stiffer consistency.

Pumpkin pies are sweet treats that we eat for dessert. I usually top mine with whipped cream (Cool Whip). YUMMY!!!!

San Nakji said...

Man those pies sound yummy! I want one, please post one immediately!

The reason I say the reasons are silly is because shortly after the native americans helped the pilgrims out they were systematically wiped out from most of the continent... I find that really sad.

Ashley said...

I have to point out the most people living in America don't have ancestors that participated in the first "Thanksgiving."

Just like Christmas and Valentine's Day, it's one of those marketing blitz holidays where everyone feels compelled to do what the advertisers tell us to do. In the case of Thanksgiving: make pies, roast turkeys, prepare stuffing, potatoes, green bean casseroles, cranberry relish, etc.; consume mass quantities of aforementioned foods, watch (American) football on t.v., go shopping and spend oneself into debt on Christmas gifts for friends, family, and colleagues.

I admit, I will partake in the food consumption to some degree, but I refuse to go shopping on Friday.

San Nakji said...

You can't boycott the food, but avoid the shopping! Good one!