Friday, November 04, 2005

Weekly Animal Pic - Sun Bear


Our local zoo decided a few years ago that it would stop keeping bears. I believe the rationale behind that was that bears needed more land than our zoo could give. They just let the bears they had die of natural causes and didn't replace them. The last bear they had was a sun bear. He (maybe she, who can tell? Well, probably other bears...) was an amazing looking creature and I always enjoyed going and watching him. I was quite sad when he finally died. Still, the best place for bears and other animals is the wild, so I am sure his family is enjoying their freedom.
Sun Bears are from Indonesia and are endangered as are most animals from that part of the world. Deforestation as well as hunting is quickly depleting their numbers. It is hard to have hope for animals such as these when our world is all about money...

San Nakji for President!

5 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

this bear has long claws

San Nakji said...

yeah, they are a bit creepy!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Remind me to not make him mad.

Oricon Ailin said...

We have Sun Bears at the El Paso Zoo. I like 'em. They seem to play more when people are watching them. I need to go down to the zoo to see them...it's been year or so.

Anonymous said...

I saw a bear like this (with that strange V-shaped marking at the Seoul Grand Park zoo when I was there some months ago. My favorite animal at the zoo, however, was the majestic Siberian tiger!