Saturday, February 11, 2006

Bumble Bee



I am quite proud of this photo. I have to say that insects make the best subjects!

Bumble Bees have always fascinated me. They are such placid creatures. If you aren't too squeemish, then I recommend trying to stroke one on the back. They don't seem to mind a bit!

In Aotearoa at the moment Bumble Bees have taken on a monumental task. The are trying to shoulder the job of the common honey bee. Wild bees in the North Island (Te Ika o Maui) of Aotearoa have been almost wiped out by a vicious critter called the veroa mite which invades hives and kills all the bees. It is so sad to be at the height of summer and yet hardly ever see a bee. Bumble Bees have had to get out there in their droves and make sure all the flowers are being attended to!

An interesting fact about Bumble Bees. Scientific studies have conluded that due to the sructure of the Bumble Bee's wings, it should be impossible for them to fly forward, yet the manage it. Weird huh?

San Nakji for President!

5 comments:

The Humanity Critic said...

thats an awesome pic..

Anonymous said...

I do not want to touch bees. I do not want to be stung.

Oricon Ailin said...

An amazing photo!! Well done!

I can't get close enough to "pet" them, my friend. I am very allergic.

Tim Rice said...

That's a neat picture. And it never crossed my mind before that one might be able to stroke the back of a bumblebee. So you introduced me to a new idea; though I don't think I'll see any bumblebees for some time yet. It is snowing here in Souderton, Pennsylvania - they say we might get up to thirteen inches.

black feline said...

im beginning to think u are in some fields relating to science! Always able to capture all the right moments:)