Thursday, September 01, 2005

Azalea Flowers 진달래꽃


In an attempt to be all things to all people. I have finished today with the most famous Korean poem of modern times. All Koreans know this poem and if you are ever in conversation with a Korean, drop this in to really impress!

Korean literature really came ahead in leaps and bounds in the first half of the 20th century. In a reaction to an influx of Western values and the occupation by Japan, writing like that of Kim became a way of expressing national identity in the face of great odds.


Azalea Flowers - Kim So Weol (1902-1934)

When you go away at last,
sickened with the sight of me,
know that I shall let you go,
saying nothing, make no fuss;

but climbing high on Yongpyon's hills,
there I'll pick azalea flowers,
armfuls of purple, just to spread
along the pathways as you go

Then go, with muffled parting steps
trampling down those flowers you find
strewn before your departing feet;

and when you go away at last,sickened with the sight of me,
know that for the life of me
I'll shed no tears then, no, not one.

진달래ㅅ곳 - 김소월 (1902-1934)

나보기가 역겨워
가실 ㅅ대에는
말업시 고히 보내드리우리다.

寧邊(영변)에 藥山(약산)
진달래ㅅ곳
아름ㅅ다다 가실길에 ㅅ부리우리다.

가시는거름거름
노힌그ㅅ곳츨
삽분히즈려밟고 가시옵소서

나보기가 역겨워
가실 ㅅ대에는
죽어도아니 눈물흘리우리다.


San Nakji for President!

1 comment:

flowerful said...

사뿐히 즈려밟고 가시옵소서
이러한 사랑을 할 수 있을까요.