Thursday, September 15, 2005

Voting Time

It seems like this is the season for voting, the Germans, the Norwegians, the Japanese and now the Kiwis' turn has come this weekend, 17th September.
The election is really a clear cut one with the right, in the form of the National Party on one side, and the ruling left, the Labour Party. Each party is supported by smaller parties representing more 'extreme' factions of each side. The right has the tax slashing ACT party and the left has the environment loving Greens. In the middle we have the old person friendly anti immigration New Zealand First and the slightly odd United First, a quasi Christian party.
It has really come down to a battle of tax cuts and what is important to the voter. I am sure regular readers of my blog will be able to gleen which way I lean... But when it comes to the election, there are a number of things that are important to me and make me proud to come from this country. This election means they are threatened...

1) Gay Marriage

2) No Smoking in Bars

3) Partnership between Indigenous people and others - The only official agreement between a colonial power and an indigenous people in the world

4) Independent Foreign Policy - Government listens to the will of the people

5) Global Warming - Kyoto Protocol

These are the things that are important to me. One side is attacking these great things. While I know I have no NZ readers and therefore is less than important to you, I think the lesson I would like to give here is that you must see through all the rhetoric and decide what is important to you. Take those basic things and forget all the bribes, that's what I intend to do...

I am voting Green for the record.

San Nakji for President!

2 comments:

Oricon Ailin said...

We already had our elections back in May. That is when we have mayoral and city office elections. National Elections like for President takes place in November, but, only every four years.

But, I agree. You have to look at what is most important to you, and vote on that.

I have been highly criticized for voting the way I did last election, however, I had to stand up for the things I believed in most. Running a small company made me think about certain things, and that's what I did. I voted for what I thought would protect me.

That does NOT mean though, that I agree with and support all of the things that our officials do.

The only thing that truly bothers me is that people think I am an idiot and don't care about people because of the way I voted. That hurts. I have always cared more for others than myself, and I try to believe that I am not an idiot. *sighs*

San Nakji said...

As long as you are strong with what you believe, no one can cut you down. That sounds like you! To be fair though, there isn't a lot of difference between your two parties...