Monday, September 12, 2005

Monday Means...

That I am recovering from the weekend. I didn't really do much, but then, those are the best weekends right? I have been thinking about things to write about and I came up with two.

Number one is that apart from our desert friends next door (ie Australia), no where in this world makes a pie quite like they do here. I have just polished off a lamb, rosemary and kumara pie. It was wonderful! Whenever I travel, pies are the things I crave the most. One day I will get some money together and bring NZ pies to the world... I think some of you deserve a treat!

Number two is, sadly, New Orleans. Behind every disaster is a lesson. As usual, it is to respect nature. The places which were most badly hit were suburbs where once wetlands were. The wetlands were the lungs of the mighty Mississippi. When it flooded the lungs took the water... Now it's flooding and the lungs still need to take the water. Unfortunately people are living in the lungs, but this doesn't stop mother nature. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I can't help wondering with a little civic planning the loss of life over there would have been much less. This lesson may mean that many people can never move back to NO, but this is something that will have to happen, to protect future generations from the same fate. The people of Pompeii would certainly recommend staying away from Mother Nature...

Don't mess with Nature

San Nakji for President!

1 comment:

Oricon Ailin said...

I love pies. I can bake a wicked apple pie. hehehe Homemade crust, two types of apples, tons of cinnamon and sugar, and a hint of sugared butter on the top crust. Warm and served with vanilla ice cream is the best. Yummy!