Thursday, September 22, 2005

Mystras Μυστράς



For a change of colour, here is a picture of a church in the ruined city of Mystras Μυστράς which was the capital of the Byzantine Empire after the sacking of Constantinople in 1204. The ruins are located about 8kms from Sparta Σπάρτι, and are amazing. A whole medieval city on the side of a hill complete with roads, a palace, churches, monastaries, houses and a castle on the top. One interesting thing is that the English word, Mystery, comes from the name of this ancient town...

There's your history lesson for today! Don't say I never teach you anything.

San Nakji for President!

2 comments:

Oricon Ailin said...

Ooh...very interesting. You know me, SN, anything to do with churches intrigues me. Thank you for sharing!!

I'll add this to my list of places I dream of visiting before I die. (That list is like 900 things already!)

San Nakji said...

Hey Nathan,

The Greeks tell me otherwise, so I can't disagree with them...

Ori,

You would love Greece, plenty of great churches!