Monday, September 26, 2005

Did I see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

It took a while, but yes, I finally saw it. Stand by with baited breath for my review...

Right from the start you need to know that I am a huge Roald Dahl fan. I am also a big fan of Gene Wilder and the original movie. Strange coming from a guy who can't stand musicals. I have the song from the chocolate river running through my mind. If you were here I would sing it to ya, but that's another story... Or is it? Well, yes it is...



So with the impending demise of my freedom to see movies whenever I want, I made my way to the local theatre with Mrs San and some other people who will from here on be known as 'Those Of Limited Significance' or TOLS.

I must be getting old, but didn't I used to pay $5 for a movie? When the hell did it become $12? On a Saturday you would be paying $14 dollars... Can we honestly say movies are better now? Surely Karate Kid was the peak? Anyway, why am I complaining, I only paid $9, got some kind of movie club membership thingy...

There was a great deal on for a Willie Wonka ice cream. I got one and also got the NZ movie staple which are tangyfruits. I looked on the web just now and there is no mention of them. I think these are a NZ only thing, which saddens me greatly. I will take a photo of them and publish it some time, wow, something to look forward to! The weird thing about these lollies (more on that later) is that they only sell them at movie theatres. I have never seen them anywhere else. I imagine warehouses piled full of these things. The movie theatres paid out a lot of money for right to sell them and obviously jealously guard their secret... San Nakji is known as the Tangyfruit Guy, so needless to say the TOLS were happy to have me grace their presence in the theatre, if only for the food...

Now, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, the film. Have you ever had the experience in the theatre as you watch the previews of not remembering which film you had come to watch? Is this a sign of old age? Another sign of old age is rambling, which I am doing now...

So the movie was great. It followed the book fairly faithfully except for the weird parent thing. Actually, it was well done, just wasn't expecting it. The original movie disappointed me because I wanted to see the kids leaving the factory and what they looked like. That's where the new movie excelled. The Oompa Loompas were great. Their songs were pretty good, although not sing along ones like the original. I am sure if I were to get the album, I could probably sing along after a while.

The best character was Mike Teevee. Yeah, I know Johnny was good, but Mike was a more interesting character. He was great because of the great questions he asked (won't give it away though) and because I think he represented the child of the new millenium. Know it all and technically smart.

The special effects were great too. I loved the elevator the best. Just like the book!

So, Mrs San, the TOLS and I left the theatre, very happy with our choice. It was a great film and not for one minute did I look down at my watch wondering how much longer this crap had to go. The TOLS immediately pronounced it the greatest Charlie and the Chocolate Factory of all time, but I am not so sure. The first movie's build up to the factory visit was better. The Oompa Loompa songs were easier to sing along with and I can't really fault Gene Wilder. On the other side you have better special effects, a more faithful rendition and getting to see the after effects of the 'corrective treatments'... They are both great films! TOLS be damned.... I am now waiting for a special 2 DVD set of both movies, is that possible I wonder?


While looking at IMDB for things about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I noticed the age old argument between Americans and Brits. The Brits were complaining wildly about making the movie American, although the book is by a Pom. This kind of thing really doesn't worry me, although it was strange hearing a boy with an English accent keep talking about 'candy'... Poms call them sweets... Hell we call them lollies. The TOLS then pointed out why Wallace and Gromit was making a late appearance into America. Apparently they are having to remould the faces as they change some of the English words to be more America friendly. I couldn't believe this, but at the same time it didn't surprise me in the least. I do wonder if Americans are as dumb as the people making the decisions would have us believe. My feeling is no, but why do they stand for crap like this? I am sure most yanks with a brain know that there are different forms of English out there. Hell, there are different forms of English within the US. Why does the media, in this instance, need to protect Americans from words they may not be familiar with? If we had to do that for every TV show or movie coming to this country from overseas, well we would have to shut down all forms of media and go for a long walk...

Wallace and Gromit next week. My friends in America, would you like me to tell you which words are censored?

San Nakji for President!

** Additional ** I forgot to mention the squirrels. There they were just like the book says. Yay! Who came up with the geese? That was just weird. Althought it was a good set up for the bad egg line!

5 comments:

San Nakji said...

Well any American reading this blog must be pretty smart!

Quotier quotes... yes that is definitely the case!

Anonymous said...

I really gotta see this movie. However, I don't think I will any time soon, unfortunately.

Oricon Ailin said...

Well, this American loves British, Australian, and New Zealand accents and words. So, it really ticks me off when they change the original movie to have more "American" English in it.

I think I am educated and cultured enough to figure out what they are saying. If not, I don't mind looking up the word. You learn that way!!

I'm very glad you liked the movie. I absolutely LOVED it!

My favorite line was, "Hey, little girl, don't touch that squirrels nuts, it will drive him mad." *giggles* hehehehhheheheheheheh

And the Wallace and Gromit movie...I SOOOOOO want to see that one. It looks funny! It makes me mad though they are redoing the language for that one too. *grumbles*

San Nakji said...

Make time KS!

Ori, I will make a note of the words you miss ok?

Cergie said...

Soooo !
You put a photo of our great French actor Gerard Philipe !