Thursday, September 08, 2005

Rats, Why Did it Have to be Rats?



Love 'em or hate 'em, rats are a part of life on this planet. The residents of Deshnok have accepted this and in their temple, Karani Mata, you can find revered rats. These rats have the free reign of the temple and those that come to worship here must pay their respects to the rats. They are so free from the fear of humans that they will climb on you and will eat from your hand. Some will even let you pat them like a cat! (Don't mention the C word around them though...) In Hindu tradition, rats are strongly linked with Ganesh and any friend of Ganesh is a friend of San Nakji! I can't wait to get to India and visit this temple!

San Nakji for President!

7 comments:

Hypatia said...

This is a great pic! I adore rats and Ganesh, of course. We have seven cream and white colored pet rats and they are very friendly and funny. Not to mention way too smart.

Deepa Bhasthi said...

i know all about the hindu tradition. but i still do find rats really creepy. my dog is an expert in catching rats. so we never felt the need for a cat. not that i am a cat person, prefer dogs any day.

flowerful said...

they look like kindergarten schoolers.

San Nakji said...

Kindergarten schoolers, ha ha ha! Reminds me of a Simpsons episode. The one with the rats, the mafia, milk and the elementary school. Anyone see that one?
In a effort to love all of earth's creatures, how can I say anything bad about our rat friends?

Oricon Ailin said...

My ex-sister in law had fancy rats. They were pets and she had like 15 of 'em. They were really cute and stuff...nice and clean and everything. I used to let them sit on my shoulder.

I'm not really scared of mice or rats. I'm just worried of the disease they sometimes carry.

San Nakji said...

Well it's like the chicken pox I think. YOu should get the plague once in your life just to build up immunity!

Oricon Ailin said...

Ewwww...no thanks! hehehe

And I've had chickenpox 3 times.