Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Eating Dogs and Cats

Koreans are famous for their unusual taste in food. One of the strangest ones to 'westerners' is dog. I personally choose not to eat dog as I am uncomfortable about how some dogs are killed. However if the killing of a dog is as humane as the killing of chickens, cows, pigs or sheep is supposed to be, then where is the problem?
I bring this up as I have just seen an ad on TV for Animal Asia which was talking about the plight of bears in China (and Korea), which is something I feel very strongly about. Checking out their website, I saw they also have a campaign against the eating of dogs and cats. Apparently they are 'friends' not 'food'. I guess it's ok to campaign for the humane treatment of animals, which when you look at the way dogs are kept in China, I can well understand. My problem is why are dogs and cats different from all the other animals that we eat? There seems to be some kind of double standard where these animals are seen differently. I don't get it. In the country there are plenty of kids with pet lambs or pigs or whatever, but no one is protesting those animals being eaten...

My point? Either eat no animal, or shut up!

San Nakji for President!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a file that I could send you, San Nakji.

If you'd like me to, email me.

San Nakji said...

Wow, Darin, we are agreeing way too much these days! KS, I am intrigued, will drop you a line...

J Lester Maramara, SJ said...

nice thought. i just wish that those who are repulsed by people eating dogs should not comdemn those who do.