Saturday, December 31, 2005

Year in Review 2006

I haven't done one of these things before, so please bear with me. I have been thinking about this all week and what I should include, what I should leave out. I think the best style is list form, so here we go.... (Top Fives here)

The Year that Past, 2005, the year of the Rooster

Events that Should not be Forgotten (World)

1 - Boxing Day Tsunami

I thought a lot about whether to include this as technically it occurred in 2004. However the effects of this terrible disaster are still being felt and on a personal note I was run off my feet coping with all the problems that followed

2 - Kashmir Earthquake

A forgotten disaster. People still talk about the Tsunami, but this terrible earthquake, which killed so many and continues to kill many more, seems to have fallen off the radar. I can only hope that people reading this blog have not forgotten and please give a little more to your local charity working over there

3 - Continuing Violence in Iraq

Policies by a certain warmonger have not made the world a safer place. Innocent people continue to die in Iraq and I am not sure what this warmonger and his friends see that I don't, but I cannot see this ending. I am particularly disappointed in Tony Blair's performance. He has made sure that Britons now have no sure difference between their two major parties.

4 - Katrina

I debated whether to include this or not. Compared to what happens around the world almost daily, America got off lightly. A number of important lessons were learned here about our sole 'superpower' in the world. The first is that they are just as incompetent at dealing with disaster as everywhere else. I am not sure if that is comforting or not. The second is that there are still major issues in the US involving race and class. A related issue is American insistance that the Kyoto Protocol is bad for business. With this being the worst hurricane season on record, even a blind man can see something is happening. Mother Nature is doing her best to warn Mr Bush, is he listening?

5 - Human Rights Violations

This is still happening everywhere. Mugabe continues to rule with an iron fist destroying all opposition. The Australian government continues to imprison refugees. China continues to opress minority groups and holds the record for the highest amount of executions, yet again. Russia continues to kill Chechens. The US Government defends the use of torture and EU members support their stance. The Sudanese government continues to support militias who are killing black Sudanese in Darfur. It is funny how the more things change, the more they stay the same...

6 - Starvation in Niger

Food sits in the markets, but people still starve. There is something wrong here, we should all be ashamed.

Events that Should Not be Forgotten (Personal)

Actually, I can't complain too much about this year, but let's see what I have!

1 - The death of multiple actors

A lot of actors I was quite keen on died this year. As Kira's Slave kept pointing out, it was a not a good year for me on this front. It was probably worse for the families, but somehow I doubt it! Off the top of my head there was Don Adams (Maxwell Smart), Bob Denver (Gilligan), Ronnie Barker (British Comedian), Pat Morita (Mr Miyagi), Richard Pryor (American Comedian) and there were many more. Watch out Ricky Gervais!

2 - The rise of the right

There has been a swing to the right in Aotearoa and while the left still held on to power this election, there are more of those human rights trampling bastards in our parliament

3 - No trips

I am struggling for things here. I didn't have any holidays this year and didn't go anywhere. That's a bit sad really...

Highlights of the Year (World)

1 - The London Bombing Aftermath

No, I was not happy with the bombings. Anything that targets civilian populations is right down on my list of pleasant activities. What did make my highlights of the year was the way Londoners came together and stayed strong. They didn't overreact and took things in their stride. I think the UK can be proud.

2 - The Space Shuttle

On a year with a dearth of stunningly happy news stories, I was happy to see the space shuttle back. To me, space exploration is something that can unite the world. I can't wait for the manned mission to Mars.

3 - Live Eight

I have yet to decide whether this really was a highlight. It happened, people thought about poor countries, but did it really change anything? Only time will tell. There was some good music though

4 - The Fight Against ID

It pleased me to see science fighting against ID. The defeat of ID advocates in court shows that there is still sanity within the US justice system. The question is, what will creationists try next?

5 - New Zealand beats Australia

Well, not quite world news. But hell after 50 years of trying our New Zealand rugby league team finally beat Australia in a series. It was a wonderful year in sport for us, but it was topped by the 24-0 thrashing of Australia, yay!

Highlights of the Year (Personal)

1 - Meeting a New Friend

In October I met TJ, a new friend. He has really changed my life and I am sure we will be great friends for many years to come.

2 - Blogging

I am really enjoying this blogging lark. I have met many great people and have learned a great many things. I always appreciate the comments I receive

3 - Pay Raise

For the first time in over two years I got a pay raise. It wasn't a lot, but hell, it was something!

4 - iPod & Mac Mini

I am back in the world of Apple, and I am loving it. I didn't really get this digital music thing until I got my iPod way back in January. I now couldn't live without it. Podcasting is amazing and one day I will be able to afford one of those video iPods! I have to say though, Apple acts as though NZ doesn't exist. We have no iTunes store and cannot access half the stuff you luck overseas people can. I love my Mac Mini too, it has certainly meant more space on my desk!

5 - New Kitchen

Mrs San Nakji is right (don't tell her whatever you do!). Our new kitchen is pretty good...

6 - The Space Shuttle

I actually saw the space shuttle fly through the New Zealand night sky. That was cool!

Wishes for 2006 (World)

1 - Peace in the Middle East (hell, let's make it the world!)

Well, one can dream I guess...

2 - Equality in World Trade

If we are serious about this, then it needs to be a level playing field.

3 - Sorting Global Warming

It would be nice if the world actually did something about this

4 - Food for All

I am sick of all this starvation rubbish. There is plenty of food to go around, let's sort it out!

5 - Medical Advancement

I would like to see AIDS, Cancer and pretty much every other disease that plagues mankind sorted next year... On a personal note, if cancer could be sorted within the next month, it would make a family very close to me, very happy.

Wishes for 2006 (Personal)

1 - Health and Happiness for all my Friends and Family (blogging friends included of course!)

Got to start off with a selfless wish right?

2 - Money for Travel

We are planning two trips this year. One to Rarotonga (Pacific Island) and one to Korea (Asian country). Hoping for a lottery win to make sure these two trips happen!

3 - New Job for Mrs San Nakji

She is not too challenged in her current position. Hoping for good things for her in 2006

4 - New iPod

Dreams are free, iPods aren't!

5 - More Winning for our Pub Quiz team

We did well this year, want even better next!

------------------

I want to wish each and every one of my readers a very happy 2006. As I have said, I appreciate you taking the time to read my thoughts, convoluted though they are. I appreciate your thoughtful comments and well, just appreciate everything! I hope your wishes for 2006 come true and let us all hope for peace around the world!

San Nakji for President!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good review. I liked it.

Crystal said...

This is a wonderful list, you cover nearly all the events that I would put on a list if I were to make one. Have a good start to 2006!

Oricon Ailin said...

My blessings for a beautiful and wonderful 2006. Your list was probably one of the best ones I've seen. I hope I can live up to yours. Probably not, but I'll try.

And, meeting you in the blogging world was a great thing for me as well!

*SMILES* and *HUGS* for you, my friend.

Fahd Mirza said...

very nice list indeed. I am touched by your mentioning of kashmir earthquake.

coolbuddha said...

It has been an eventful, and not among the best of years. Here's to 2006 - and have a good one!

Paulsouth said...

Apple have a major store in London but UK customers will find no channels in Sherlock for them. We are just as forgotten as you are! Happy New Year everyone.

Tim Rice said...

I'm impressed with your lists. It gives me a whole new perspective of the world in 2005. And this post along with your previous posts have convinced me that I will want to be regularly checking your blog. Thanks.

Friar Tuck said...

Interesting to see more of your political leanings....and since we are on opposite ends of the spectrum on some things I wont comment on a lot of them.

I will say one thing though. I am not sure the Katrina thing highlighted racial tensions as much as it was an opportunity for political opperatives to exploit racial issues.

Because, if you can push the race card it can mean big bucks in America. Not that there are not racial tensions in America. I would be the last one to say that. But Katrina was about powerful people using race and division to gain money and power.

That is my perspective anyway.

Deepa Bhasthi said...

Good list.
hope you get the money to go on that trip.
a very happy and prosperous new year to you, mrs san nakji and all your friends!