Wednesday, December 21, 2005

What's Up With Them?

What's up with whales stranding themselves on beaches? Are the Japanese right? Is it really their destiny to be sashimi? This morning 123 pilot whales managed to strand themselves on a beach in the South Island of New Zealand. People have been working all day to get them back out to sea and they finally suceeded. However watching the news just now I see that 50 of the foolish beasts have gone and stranded themselves again.

I have heard a number of theories about why they do it. One is that modern sonar / satellite communication is messing with their own sonar meaning they can become confused. Still, they have eyes don't they? There is some weird cult thing going on here. The cult of whale suicide. We need to organise an intervention... Are you with me?

San Nakji for President!

6 comments:

Oricon Ailin said...

I have heard of this. Whales do strange things. But, I'm sure they say the same thing about us when we venture into the ocean and get eaten by sharks and stuff. Hmmm.

I do wish though that they didn't beach themselves. It's terrible to see them suffer like that. *sighs*

Deepa Bhasthi said...

I am all for technology but it is so sad that we are killing such animals. I dont know about elsewhere but in many parts of Karnataka, sparrows are disappearing because of the radiation from mobile phones. I am happy to say that even though all of us in my family have mobiles, my mother feeds around 150 sparrows every day.

San Nakji said...

It restores the balance, ha ha, how very Indian of you ;o)

The Humanity Critic said...

Yeah I saw that.. What's their deal??

Deepa Bhasthi said...

i know! living harmoniously is the way to go! u ought to see my home. we live in the middle of the town but it is a compound of abt 10acres with an estate and lots of trees, kind of like a village in a town. and we have our own bird sanctuary and a zoo, the kind of birds n animals we get! wow!

Anonymous said...

my guess is that they're just messing with us. ha ha! let's beach ourselves and watch the humans wet themselves trying to save us!

whales are jerks.