Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Censorship - Alive and Well

Malaysia's deputy leader has hit out at hugging scenes on local TV reality shows, saying such public displays of affection are un-Islamic. "It is forbidden in the religion," Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak said in a speech to a youth council. Malaysian television stations generally edit out kissing and hugging scenes in their programmes but there have recently been displays of hugging in some reality shows. "Hugging scenes are not suitable," Najib said. "They must sing decent songs, and must act decently." The minister didn't single out a particular TV show as being morally reprehensible.

When I lived in Malaysia, I went to see the movie, Naked Gun 2 1/2. Please don't judge! Anyway, a movie that was supposed to be 80-90 minutes, thanks to government censorship, was only 40 minutes when I saw it... What did I miss?

I would be interested if there were a study on the effects of censorship. I would doubt whether it has the desired affects... What Mr Razak thinks those affects would be is anybody's guess...

San Nakji for President!

2 comments:

Oricon Ailin said...

I couldn't survive. I live on hugs, and I would make a terrible Islamic person. Hmmm, how can they take away hugs???? *sighs*

Oh, and as for Naked Gun 2 1/2, you didn't miss much. It was a funny movie, but one I could only sit through maybe once or twice. hehe

****HUGS****

San Nakji said...

He he, nothing wrong with a good hug!