Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Gaza Pullout



I have seen the settlers whining and crying and frankly I am glad to see them finally forced out. This whole given by god thing just doesn't wash with me... Isaelis do ok with the land the have and hardly need the extra tiny bit on the Gaza strip.
Palestinians are truly a screwed up people. They are oppressed by the Israelis who they rely on for jobs as well as basic utilities. Meanwhile the rest of the Arab world uses them as pawns to fight Israel, these poor people can't win. Here finally, is a chance to try and make a go with a land they can call their own and still there is whining and gnashing of teeth. Out of all the people in the world to know suffering and oppression you would think Jewish people would get it the most. Their yearning for a homeland, a place free from oppression, is something that most of us can understand and sympathise with. Don't they get the need that we all have to choose the course of our own lives?

My hope is that this should be a time of reflection from both sides of this conflict. Too many innocent lives have been lost. Now is a time for two states to begin to live side by side. I think I am just dreaming....

San Nakji for President!

2 comments:

droemmar said...

The Israelo-Palestian conflict is a problem that has implications on politics all over the globe. At one occasion I brought up the conflict in compnay of a middle east person and a russian with jewish background. They became very angry with each other it made me regret I brought up the question, it created a hostile atmosphere. So now, I don't discuss the conflict in the middle east with muslims or the one jewish person I know. I feel they would be angry with me...

San Nakji said...

Good plan... Why can't they just sort it out???