Monday, August 22, 2005

King Sejong the Great 세종대왕



Ever since I started learning Korean, I have admired King Sejong. Under his leadership one of the greatest alphabets in history came into being, Hangeul 한글. It is such a simple alphabet and so easy to remember. When I first had a go at it, I was able to memorise it in 30 minutes... While I am sure that he was not solely responsible for the alphabet, he does represent an ideal in monarchy which is difficult to match. Under his leadership Korea prospered in science and art and the fact that he still such a hero to the Korean people says a lot for him. Most monarchs of this world are remembered for being a bit nuts and a couple of battles.
Above is Yeongneung 영릉, which is the final resting place of Sejong. It is in a small Gyeonggi 경기도 provincial town called Yeoju 여주 and I have never figured out why he was buried there of all places. It would be like Henry VIII being buried in Cornwall or George Washington being buried in Iowa. Strange. My first visit there was in 1994 and I will never forget it. There is something magical about visiting the last resting place of someone that you have read so much about. The setting is so peaceful and a great place to contemplate. If you are ever living in Korea and just want some peace and quiet, royal tombs are place to go!
Koreans are very keen on the burial mounds and you can find them all over the country. Big ones for the kings and little ones for everyone else. A bit wasteful when you have so little land, but at the same time I am keen on being buried in a mound one day... Not too soon though!


San Nakji for President!

No comments: